Friday, October 1, 2010

"It's Down Syndrome"

"It's Down Syndrome"  I heard those chilling three words almost four years ago on a phone at work and my world forever changed.
Grieving, loss, numbness, hurt, pain, questioning, tears, many many tears.
Then the words began to evolve and one day became, "a boy with Down Syndrome" something I could personalize, there was a ray of hope.
More learning, waiting, and wondering mixed in with a dash of hope.
Suddenly he was here, it was no longer a "boy with Down Syndrome", it was now "my son with Down Syndrome."
Hospital, sickness, waiting, hoping, praying, then finally "we're going to fix his heart this week"
Tears of sadness turned to tears of happiness, more hope, expectancy, but still unknown.  
The day finally arrived, time to go home!  Therapy, appointments, feeding tubes, vomiting, lots and lots of vomiting.
 But also in increasing measure there was laughter, joy, hope, happiness, smiles, giggles, fun, relationship, rejoicing over milestones, a normal family.    
As months went on, I realized that the words I heard in my office at work so long ago had become void.    Now, forever, the words have permanently become Carsten, just Carsten, my gift, my beautiful son.



It's Down Syndrome awareness month!  I will be blogging some as I can about Carsten and Down Syndrome so please check back in later this month!

 

No comments: