Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Breakfast

Carsten's OT Maureen came this morning and Carsten did pretty good with eating. He ate lots of little graham cracker pieces and "mashed" bananas, not pureed! We also tried a saltine cracker and little tiny pieces of cheese. The cheese didn't get down but he ate a lot of the graham crackers. I was feeling a little overzealous and kept giving them to him, I think I pushed him too far again because he choked, gagged, and vomited everything he ate:( Every time he gets a piece of food in the back of his throat it triggers his gag. He's got to push through that though without it gagging him every time. I'm still encouraged though and Maureen thought he is doing fabulous. I'm going to keep giving him small pieces of food until he learns. He really likes chewing and I think he's teething more on the sides, no visible teeth yet though except for bottom middle two. The teeth will help when they come in. He's also drinking sips from his sippy cup and drinks maybe a total of 1 ounce from an open cup. If we're going to get him off this tube the drinking is essential. There's just so many things you can work on with him and I do my best to focus on the most important.

I think he's gaining weight, he feels a lot heavier lately and is starting to grow out of all his 12 month pants and some of his 12-18 month clothes. He is now transitioning from the couch to coffee table in standing and taking a few steps with his walker. He can climb up the steps like a pro! I've had two people tell me that he made the "mama" sound, though I'm still not believing it until I hear it myself! I know he's not actually saying "mamma" but I will be excited to know that he can at least make the sound. He is making more consonant sounds lately, I think the tubes have really helped with that.

I will probably keep updating on his eating, it helps me to write it out and see what I need to focus on each day. This afternoon we will try graham crackers again and maybe I will cook some apples with cinnamon and brown sugar and mash those up for him, how could you not like that?!! We'll see. I also can't find a drink that he really likes other than water. I've tried apple juice, chocolate milk, sweet tea etc...Does anyone have any good ideas for drinking, maybe I should try just sugar water. I don't think he's aspirating anymore(liquid going into his lungs), he does have a swallow study in February to make sure, hopefully he will pass on thin this time.

I've got to get laundry done and packed so we can leave on Friday. I'm so excited about Christmas and even more excited about the week after Christmas. Carsten will be staying with his Nana and Mimi for a week while Chad and I have a little R&R!! We might go snow skiing at this place around here and stay downtown in Kansas City for a night or too. We'll see, I better go and have my quiet time and shower before the little booger wakes up.

Love,
Momma Bridges

No comments: