Monday, December 8, 2008

Bridges Bunch back to normal and Baltimore here we come!!

The Bridges household is finally back to normal after our two week escapade of sicknesses. Carsten is laughing, running around, and being his usual spunky self. Last Sunday after we arrived home from Thanksgiving I was unpacking and ran something upstairs. Lo and behold, on my way back down I found our little C-man on the first landing of the steps! He had crawled up 7 steps and was just looking up at me like "what did I do?" Needless to say we put up our gate the next day.

Carsten is cruising along all our furniture and pulled one of my favorite plates down yesterday from a drawer and broke it in pieces:) He's really starting to get into everything and I'm way past due baby proofing the house. That's one of my goals this week.

Yesterday the three of us were in the commissary and we ran into another family with a 24 year old with Down Syndrome. His name was Travis. Travis was quite a character and the parents really got a kick out of Carsten. We pretty much went down every aisle together and I got about five big hugs from Travis! The parents said they felt old seeing the three of us but I think Carsten brought back some fun memories for them. I was trying to imagine Chad, Carsten, and I in 20 years in the grocery store together, ha! I can only hope Carsten is running through the aisles begging me for all kinds of food, none of them good for him I'm sure!

On a food note, I'm SO excited to tell you guys that Carsten has a feeding clinic evaluation scheduled for January in Baltimore, Maryland! Yep, I said Baltimore!! It's called the Kennedy Krieger Institute. They have an amazing intensive inpatient feeding program where they work to get children off of feeding tubes. I have had my eye on the place since last year, they won't take children until after one. Carsten will be evaluated on January 27th to determine if he qualifies for their inpatient program. If he gets accepted, when they have an opening we will go (Carsten and I) for 6-8 weeks just to work on feeding. We will stay in the hospital there together. They have an amazing success rate, 50% of all children leave the program 75% tube free. Realistically, that's a great statistic!

So, we will be praying that Carsten is accepted and that we can go sometime this spring to the program. I'm so encouraged and it gives me something to look forward too on days when his eating is not so great.

Three of our neighbors are moving this week so we're a little sad. One of the couples held our bible study this fall so as they leave we will be transitioning the study to our house. Chad will lead the study and he did his first one last night. It went great with lots of good discussion, I'm so proud of him and what God is doing in him! I'm looking forward to see what the Lord has in store for our family and neighborhood this next year!

Also, we find out if Chad gets into the SAMS (school of applied military studies) school on the 19th. We're putting it in God's hands and not worried either way. It would be nice to be here another year and one of my good friends Amy's husband who is in the Guard has applied also. It would be wonderful if they both got in and they would be here another year with us, let's hope so!!

We've got our tree up and our stockings on the fireplace! It's getting colder here in Leavenworth and Christmas is in the air. I think snow is in the forecast this week! I can't wait to get started on gift wrapping and Wednesday Carsten will have his picture taken so be looking for more cute pics of him soon.

That's our Bridges update!
Love to all,
Momma Bridges

1 comment:

Kim said...

I will be praying for the Baltimore trip and that Carsten's eating would improve. I look forward to seeing pictures.