Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Carsten's tube

It's 8:30 and I've already cleaned up one episode of banana throw up. We ran out of night bags for his night feeding so for two days he hasn't gotten his night feeds. We thought we would try to go ahead and see how he does without it. Apparently, he still needs it. Something happens when his stomach gets completely empty and then add drainage to that equals vomit in the morning. I still can't figure it out and the doctors can't either but I've heard that reflux is worse on an empty stomach. So, thank goodness we got our supply yesterday afternoon and we will be resuming the night feeds tonight, period. I think until Carsten is able to drink by himself, the reflux will continue without the night feeds. He has really done well lately though and I think we only had one or two vomits on our trip to Atlanta. It's painful for me to even think about the days when he would vomit 6-8 times a day, we've come so far but still have a ways to go but I'm thankful for the progress and I'm thankful for the GJ tube.

I'm still waiting on a call from KKI to find out if he will get to go to the inpatient portion of the feeding program. If they don't call soon and get something worked in, I have a feeling we will be going to the Atlanta program. The only thing with the Atlanta program is it's northeast of the city and we will be living southeast, so that's a major drive for Carsten and I everyday for 8 weeks. We may end up staying in the Ronald McDonald house if they let us. But, I'm still hopeful for KKI in Baltimore to work out, it's probably the better program of the two.

Carsten's walking is coming along great, he can pretty much walk across a room now. His communication is not so great. We do a lot of sign language with him and he hasn't caught on to much of it yet. He still babbles a lot of different sounds but no words yet. I'm a little sad about it but all his therapists say that his comprehension is really good, he just needs to work on expression. You can tell him to go get your ball, stack the blocks, stand up, or raise your arms up and he knows how to do all of it on command. I think his talking is going to coincide with his eating, so only time will tell.

I better get this week going and get caught up on house stuff, Chad keeps asking where his "fly lady" went from Little Rock. I told him she flew away when we moved:) Hopefully she'll show up by the time we get to Atlanta.

Happy Tuesday,
Momma Bridges

II Corinthians 4:17 "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, for what is seen is temporary but what is unseen is eternal."

1 comment:

The Hayes' said...

Kari, just remember that little bodies have a lot to learn, and with Carsten's DS it is going to take more time to process. It sounds like he is concentrating on the physical development with walking and all right now, and talking has taken a "backburner". This is normal. Just jeep him babbling, talk to him, and babble with him in different intonations and at appropriate pauses so he gets the "rhythym" of talking... even without the words of talking. Sounds like he is doing great and I am happy for you! i love that little boy!!! ( and his parents too...:-) Jana... 2 peter 2:9 " For the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials..."