Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Quick KKI update

Well we're on our second day going into the third.  The team is amazing, really amazing.  I am blown away by how systematic, detailed, meticulous they are about everything that goes in/out of the kids.  I have been feeding Carsten at all his sessions so far in the treatment room while being recorded with the therapist watching from the dark room.  He's had two really nasty throw ups so far with texture, but starting tomorrow, his feeding therapist will take over.  So far, he's eaten mainly pureed foods but today he had a pureed hot dog, Carsten's first meat he's ever had!!  It's really amazing how they can puree anything down so smoothe, I hope they teach me.  His feeding therapist is amazing, awesome, so positive and encouraging.  She and the OT who watched him today are very excited and think he's going to make some great progress and that he has a really good foundation of eating the pureed food.  I think they're already going to begin on textures which apparently is way ahead  of most the kids.  It's a VERY stringent protocol on how they do everything.  The sleep situation is not great so please pray that we get rest.  I think I have maybe a 5X5 space including his crib but thankfully Carsten's crib is nice and he's been sleeping okay.  The verse that came to me all day yesterday was "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus."  So, I'm not going to complain about the little "bothersomes" of being in a hospital and just be thankful we're here.  I was thinking about the story of Corrie Ten Boom and the flies in the Hiding Place.  Great book if you have never read it.  Anyway, I'm blown away by everything so far and so thankful we're here and can't wait to give more positive exciting updates!!  It looks like it will be the full 8 weeks.  I have a meeting with the whole team next Thursday and they will give me goals/expectations/plan so we'll see how that goes.  By the way Baby Bridges is kicking away pretty much all the time I can feel him/her, this week is 18!  Thanks for your all your prayers and encouragement.  Oh, most of the kids in the program all get sick from each other at some point or another, apparently a stomach bug went around a few weeks ago so we missed that, whew!  Please pray for divine protection for Carsten that he would not catch any "bugs" or community viruses while here, I'm believing in faith that he will stay well.  Will update again soon.   

Love,
Kari      

No comments: