Saturday, September 19, 2009

Update

We've approached our first weekend here at KKI. The weekends are going to be considerably slower here, yet he still gets his three meals a day with the feeding therapist. I got a pass and was able to go across the street to their workout facilities and get a good workout in and I feel so much better. It was so beautiful outside today, perfect fall weather, actually makes me miss the north quite a bit. I'm really hoping we end up in DC next year. I got some pictures of the front of Johns Hopkins Hospital, it is pretty neat to be at the same place where the movie Something the Lord Made was filmed. (If you haven't seen it it's such a good movie about the two men who pioneered the first cardiac surgeries here)

I've gotten to know a couple of the moms in the program better in the last week. The Lord is really opening my eyes and showing me that I'm not just here for Carsten but to support and love on them too. It's so nice to be around moms who just "understand" what it's like to have a kid with feeding problems and just be able to spend time with them. There is only 4 other kids in the inpatient feeding program and my roomate is scheduled to leave in the next two weeks so I'm sure someone else will be coming in. Carsten's meals are going well. He's up to 30 bites a meal with pureed food and they're working on open cup drinking once a day then separately with the therapist till he can learn the skills better. She said by Monday Carsten should be cleared to eat anything pureed, so far it's been chocolate pudding, applesauce, yogurt, and carrots. I'm anxious for them to move on to textures but I know I have to be patient and wait on the protocol but maybe by the end of next week he can move to a more junior consistency.

Please pray for the three other moms here and their situations, one has three other kids at home and a husband deploying in October, I can't even imagine! I hope I can be an encouragement to them and they would see God's joy in me. I will try to post some pictures later but gotta get ready for the Razorback game, GO HOGS!!!!!


Blessings,
Kari

1 comment:

A Beautiful Inheritance said...

I'm so excited that things are going well, and am not surprised at all that God desires to use you to encourage these other women! You emit such a light as you are trusting God with your life right now, and I know that they will see this and be drawn to it! And of course, I pray that little Carsten will just be the head of his class here and totally be an overachiever eater! :)