Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Week #2 - Riding the buggy to lunch!!


We're on week two now, I thought this program was going to seem like ages but I'm already feeling the time crunch as I know that time here is so precious, and EXPENSIVE!! Thank the Lord for Tricare!! I had a good conversation with the nurse practitioner this morning. She does rounds every morning and sees all the feeding kids. She said that their goal this week is to continue to increase volume with purees. Once Carsten gets to his max volume on purees and tolerates it okay they will add texture and liquid. Speech and OT are still working on the drinking and textures. Carsten took one good drink this morning from the open cup during his breakfast! Poor thing, he's just frustrated and doesn't know how to do it. But last night we worked on it and I think he has good potential, just needs repitition, repitition, repitition. But the nurse practitioner reassured me that they ARE working towards textures and that Carsten WILL have tube cuts by the time we leave, we just don't know the percentage or how much will be by texture or liquid. They have lots of neat little tricks to add calories like carnation instant breakfast in milk and adding lots of good fatty stuff like butter, whipping cream, whoa, wish I could be on that diet:) Then of course adding water to keep them hydrated. I'm just glad Carsten is eating more meats in his diet even if it's pureed such as chicken nuggets and pasta. But I'm trying not to be anxious and wait on their timing and expertise to bump him up to the next level. God is in control for sure.


I'm getting to know the moms better and I've really enjoyed just spending time with them. It's just kind of this ahhhhhhh you understand feeling. I wish I could take them home with me:)

I'm sure we'll get emails and stuff. So that's about it for now. The big team meeting is Thursday at 9:30 which I'm anxiously awaiting to see what they say as far as prognosis. Thank you for your continued prayers, they are invaluable!!


Toodles for now,

Kari

No comments: